I have actually been in a spring-cleaning mood for quite a while now and i have to say that i really-really-really enjoy organizing my room, my closet and just all of my stuff in general. And now that spring is officially here, and it's that time of the year again where you have to clean out your closet by setting aside all of the fall/winter clothes, i thought i'd write this post in order to make this whole procedure a little bit easier for you.
So, without further ado, here is a 7 step guide on how to clean out and organize your closet.
1) Start by clearing out everything inside your closet. Take all of your clothes out and just leave them on the floor or on your bed. (Easy breezy, huh?)
2) After that, sort all of your clothes into categories. You 'll probably end up having about 5 of them. So, there is: tops, bottoms, dresses, rompers and outerwear.
3) Then, it would probably be a great idea to actually clean the inside of your closet. An all purpose cleaner will easily do the job for you.
4) Change all of your hangers. You have to get rid of all of your plastic and wire hangers, since those look cheap, plus, they don't really hold the clothes well, since everything ends up falling down. So, the ones that i recommend are the wooden ones or the velvet ones. Those really lift up your closet, making it look fancier and more organized.
5) And now off to my favorite step: deciding what you want to keep. So, if something doesn't fit you, even if you love its style and pattern, it just has to go away. Also, if you haven't worn something in the last year then you probably won't wear it again, so you definitely need to get rid of it. Lastly, if some of the clothes that you want to keep need to be tailored, then just put them in a different clothing pile.
6) Hang everything up! Since you already know what you are going to keep and what not, it's time to take all of your clothes off the floor (or bed), hang them and place them right back into your closet.
7) Organize your closet. When it comes to organizing our clothes, each one of us has its own way, right? Some of us like to organize them by sleeve length, by colour etc, so feel free to do everything that works the best for you.
Lastly, here are some general tips for cleaning out and organizing your closet:
1) Take your time! This whole closet-cleaning-and-organizng procedure will take you about a couple of hours or even more if you have a lot of stuff. So, before starting out make sure that you have plenty of time on your hands.
2) Bring a friend/family member. If you are really having a hard time deciding whether you want to keep something or not, then just bring a friend or a family member to help you out!
3) If you have any pieces that you don't really wear anymore but are sentimental since your best friend/boyfriend etc gave them to you, just store them in a box. If you are not wearing them right now, there is no reason for them to be inside your closet, right?
4) Keep your closet seasonal. There is absolutely no point on having coats and sweaters hanging in your closet during the summer, right? You aren't wearing them, so why have them?
5) Don't forget to also clean out your shoes, handbags, jewellery and accessories. They need some love too!
(All pictures come from google.com)
Well, happy spring cleaning everyone!
JustSmileWithStyle is on Facebook!